How to apply
Apply Online now. Here's what you'll need (international students have additional requirements):
- Statement of Purpose - describe your research interests, including research you have completed and or any papers you have published. Include your career objectives and goals for graduate study.
- Letters of Recommendation - three letters are required
- Transcripts - one official copy, non official transcripts are unsatisfactory. Send to UCI Chemistry Department, Attn: Graduate Admissions, Natural Sciences II, Room 1102, Irvine, CA 92697 - 2025
- GRE general scores which include : Verbal, Quantitative, Analytical Writing. You are encouraged to take the GRE exams during the fall prior to the year you intend to apply. See the GRE at a Glance. The institution code for UCI is 4859. The UCI Chemistry Department code is 0301.
- Chemistry Subject GRE score or subject GRE in an appropriate interdisciplinary area, such as Physics or Biochemistry, Cell, and Molecular Biology.
If you have any questions concerning the application process or admissions in general, you may send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org..uci.edu or call our toll-free number (800-829-8UCI).
APPLY NOW On the application form, specify School/Department: School of Physical Sciences; and Major/Degree: Chemistry-Ph.D. Indicate Specific Areas of Interest in the box provided.
Deadlines: For early admissions consideration and an expedited application review, please apply by January 1st. All other applications are due by March 15th.
Additional requirements for international students
For International Students and students who do not speak English as their native language, in addition to the requirements listed above:
TOEFL score http://web1.toefl.org/index.html
TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Testing) An overall score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT is required for admission. http://web1.toefl.org/index.html
- IELTS (Academic Modules of the International English Testing System) An overall score of 7, with a score of no less than 6 on any individual module, is required for admission. http://www.ielts.org/
PLEASE NOTE: International Student applicants who are eligible to serve as teaching assistants are far more competitive than those who are not. Students with a score of 26 or higher on the Speaking component of the TOEFL iBT, a score of 8 or higher on the Speaking module of the IELTS, or a score of 50 or higher on the TSE (Test of Spoken English) are eligible to serve as teaching assistants.