Expectations for your first year:

Your first year in graduate school will start out with heavy course work and teaching responsibilities, and transition into focusing on your Ph.D. research. You are required to complete at least seven courses, including both specialization-specific core courses and electives.  Chem 200, 280, 281, 290, 399 do not count as one of the seven required courses. If a course is offered on an annual basis you are required to enroll. If the course is offered biannually, it may be taken in the second year of study. Students who are well prepared should take three four-unit courses each quarter; students who feel a little overwhelmed by the coursework and teaching responsibilities may elect to take two four-unit courses in some of the quarters. Your research and/or academic area advisor will help you select the courses going beyond the minimal requirements. 

Research Advisor:

One of the most important decisions you will make during your graduate career is the choice of your Research Advisor. This will influence not only your graduate research and day-to-day activities at UCI, but also the opportunities available to you upon graduation. Therefore, it is extremely worthwhile to make an informed decision about the research group you join. You will want to obtain information on groups and projects by meeting with faculty members, reading papers and/or proposals, and talking with graduate students and postdocs. These activities are one of your major responsibilities during your first quarter of graduate study. You should meet with as many faculty in your area as you can. By talking directly with the faculty, you'll get a better idea what each group has to offer.
On occasion a student may find it favorable to select a new research advisor for any number of reasons.  Students are encouraged to talk with their advisor as a first step towards finding a satisfactory solution to this problem.  Students are encouraged to explore their options in a confidential setting with the area advisor or the Chemistry Department Graduate Advisor, see Graduate Student Advising Structure for information on conflict resolution and how to change your reseach advisor. 

Conduct of Research (Chem 200):

This is a required course for all chemistry students offered in Fall. You will be exposed to presentations from faculty, and learn about the ethical conduct in science as part of this course. 

Department Seminars (Chem 290):

You are required to attend and enroll in the Chemistry Seminar series in your area. The typical seminar times and locations are listed below, however, please see the Chemistry Department Events for full details. 
  • Inorganic Seminar Series: Thursdays at 3:30pm in RH 104
  • Organic Seminar Series: Wednesdays at 4:00pm in RH 104
  • Physical Seminar Series: Thursday at 3:30pm in RH 104

Advising Handouts by Research Area

Inorganic Chemistry (Prof. Bill Evans)

Physical/Theoretical/Biophysical (Prof. Eric Potma) and Analytical/Atmospheric (Prof. Jim Smith)

Chemical and Materials Physics - ChaMP (Prof. Rachel Martin)