Congratulations on being accepted into the Chemistry Graduate Program at the University of California Irvine!
We are delighted that you are planning to visit with us. This year, our group visit days will be held on February 28, March 6, and March 13. Only a limited number of students can be accommodated on each day. Thus, reservations are scheduled on a first come, first serve basis. Only available dates will be displayed on the UCI Chemistry Visit Day RSVP Form. Please follow the instructions below to set up your visit:
- Check the UCI Chemistry Visit Day RSVP Form to confirm your preferred date is available. The form must be received at least two weeks prior to your visit for arrangements to be made.
- Book your travel within 24 hours of checking the visit form, as group visit days fill up quickly.
- Submit the UCI Chemistry Visit Day RSVP Form with your travel arrangements.
Note: Given the rapidly changing circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 virus, UCI Chemistry will be cancelling its final graduate recruitment visitation day on Friday, March 13, 2020, in an effort to exercise the appropriate caution in the face of this current public health situation.
The Chemistry Department will arrange for 1-2 nights of lodging (room and tax only) at the Ayres Hotel in Costa Mesa. If you wish to stay additional night(s), you may do so at your own expense. Please note that you will be sharing a room with another prospective graduate student.
You are eligible for reimbursement of your travel expenses up to $400.00. An original receipt, or scan of an original receipt, is required for any travel reimbursement and must follow UCI travel policy. Click on your method of travel below for specific reimbursement policies.
Reimbursement instructions can be found at UCI Travel Reimbursement. The deadline to submit your reimbursement paperwork is May 31, 2020.
- Air Travel
- Students are encouraged to fly into and out of John Wayne Airport (airport code: SNA). John Wayne Airport is less than a 10 minute drive to and from the Ayres Hotel, and the Los Angeles Airport (airport code: LAX) is roughly 1-2 hours away from UCI, depending on traffic conditions.
- Rental Car or Personal Vehicle
- Parking permits will be provided for students driving directly to UCI. Driving directions can be found at: https://www.chem.uci.edu/visitus
Business casual with comfortable shoes. There will be frequent walking during group visit days, including a tour of the UCI campus.
Please contact Garrett Yoshitomi, Graduate Program Coordinator, if you have any questions regarding group visit days or the Chemistry Department as whole.
- Fill out the Graduate Recruitment Travel Reimbursement Information Form
- Submit the Travel Reimbursement Request Excel Form and required documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find details on the required documentation below.
- The Department will prepare your reimbursement request and you will be contacted to review and approve the request. Once you approve the request, your reimbursement will be processed in 3-4 weeks.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com
Reimbursement Policies for Air Travel:
- Submit original passenger airline receipt. If the ticket was booked online, provide the emailed confirmation that contains the itinerary, fare class, passenger name, ticket number, and the amount paid.
- Book only coach or economy-class tickets. We are not able to reimburse for travel insurance, business, first-class or other higher-cost services (priority or early boarding, extra leg space, exit row seat, Plus seating).
- Ancillary charges: The following airline charges are reimbursable: checked and carry-on bag fees, early check-in (i.e. Southwest Airlines Early Bird Check In), economy-class seat selection fees.
Reimbursement Polices for Rental Car:
When renting a car, travelers are expected to use rental agencies with which the University has contracts that include insurance coverage. Only the cost of a Compact or Economy car will be reimbursed and additional upgrades such as GPS are not reimbursable expenses. Please be aware that some car agency websites will not recognize the UCI identification number. If this is the case, call the agency to ensure the car is rented under the UC agreement. UC Irvine has agreements with the following agencies:
- Enterprise (800) 325-8007. ID number: XZ32E02
- Hertz (800) 654-3131. ID number: 72105
- National (800) 227-7368. ID number: 5007820
Reimbursement documentation: Submit an original receipt showing "miles in and miles out" and the rental agreement number. A pre-calculation sheet or rental agreement form is not considered a receipt.
Reimbursement Polices for Personal Vehicle Mileage:
We are able to reimburse for use of your personal vehicle if you reside within driving distance or the cost is equal to or less than the cost of airfare, taking a taxi, or using alternative transportation. The mileage reimbursement rate covers the overall cost for fuel/gas, insurance, and car maintenance expenses. To be eligible for mileage reimbursement please submit the following:
- Cost comparison: A screen shot or PDF of a round trip flight from your home airport to Orange County John Wayne (airport code: SNA).
- Reimbursement documentation: Provide documentation showing the route and mileage of your trip.
Reimbursement Policies for Train Travel:
- Submit original passenger train receipt. If the ticket was booked online, provide the emailed confirmation that contains the itinerary, fare class, passenger name, ticket number, and the amount paid.
- Book only coach or economy-class tickets. We are not able to reimburse for business, first-class or other higher-cost services.