One quarter or three months prior to your estimated defense date:

  • Speak to your faculty advisor about creating a graduation timeline, this should include the following:
  • Attend a Thesis and Dissertation Formatting Workshop through UCI Libraries
  • Determine an approximate graduation date. If you are graduating during Fall, Winter or Spring quarter you must end your employment on or after the last day of the quarter. If your graduation date does not align with the last day of the quarter (listed below) please schedule an appointment with Morgan Sibley to discuss funding implications. 
    • Fall Quarter: Dec 13th, 2019
    • Winter Quarter: March 20th, 2020
    • Spring Quarter: June 12th, 2020

Within 30 days of submitting the Graduate Student Exit Form:

Two weeks prior to your defense date:

  • Email Laura Donaldson ( the following information for the Department of Chemistry website:
    • Defense title
    • Defense time and location
    • Abstract
    • Picture (optional) 
  • Review Thesis/Dissertation Manuals from UCI Libraries

Once you have defended:

  • Bring Ph.D. Form II - Signature Page to Garrett Yoshitomi for Chair’s signature.
  • Degree Certification: It is recommended that you request a letter of degree certification from Graduate Division when you submit your final paperwork. Your diploma is typically available four months after the end of the quarter in which you graduate. This letter will be processed approximately 14 business days after you submit your paperwork and can be shown to employers while you wait for your diploma.
  • Submit required paperwork to Graduate Division, see details on Graduate Division Degree Completion

Reminders for your last day at UCI:

  • University keys are to be returned to the Departments from which they were issued. Return Department of Chemistry keys to Haleema Sood in 1129 Natural Sciences II. 
  • If applicable, you are responsible for returning your UCI parking permit.
  • Other deductions (including automobile insurance, credit union, charitable contributions, employee organization dues, etc) must be cancelled by the employee.  Contact the specific organization to make arrangements for private coverage/cancellation and/or payments.