Only the grades A+, A, A-, B+, B, and S constitute satisfactory completion of a course. B- is considered a failing grade in the graduate program. More than one grade of B- or lower, or a single grade of C+ or lower, constitutes grounds for immediate dismissal from the graduate program.

One course in which a grade of B- was obtained may, upon petition, be accepted in partial fulfillment of the degree requirements, if the student's GPA in all courses applicable to the degree is at least 3.0.

Satisfactory completion of at least twelve units each regular academic session is required for all graduate students.

A GPA of 3.0 must be maintained; to be eligible for a teaching assistantship a minimum GPA of 3.1 is required.

A graduate student who has not demonstrated such satisfactory progress is not eligible for any academic appointment--GSR or TA--and may not hold a fellowship that is based on academic merit.

Teaching Requirement

Experience in teaching is an integral part of the graduate program, and all students are required to serve as a Teaching Assistant (TA) for 4 quarters. Enrollment in Chem 399 is mandatory for each quarter a student is employed as a TA.

Time to Degree Policy

Coursework Requirements: Coursework requirements vary in the Chemistry disciplines, therefore, students are expected to complete their coursework at the earliest, the end of their first year and at the latest, the end of their second year of graduate study.

Normal Time to Advance to Candidacy: For students in organic chemistry or chemical biology, the candidacy exam must be taken by the end of the sixth quarter in residence. For students in physical, theoretical, atmospheric, analytical, inorganic chemistry, or ChAMP, the candidacy exam must be taken prior to the end of the seventh quarter in residence.

Normal Time To Degree:

  • Chemistry Ph.D. - Five years
  • ChaMP Ph.D. - Five years

Maximal Time To Degree:

  • Chemistry Ph.D. - Seven Years
  • ChaMP Ph.D. - Seven Years

Waiver of Coursework  

Students may petition to waive program coursework requirements with graduate level coursework satisfactorily completed at another institution or through University extension prior to enrollment at UCI. Waiver of coursework from another institution or UCI Extension does not include grade credit on UCI transcript. Grade credit is never transferred.