UCI's Graduate Council adopted a plan requiring all graduate students to complete an annual Individual Development Plan (IDP) and to discuss it with their faculty research advisor in a one-on-one meeting. This process must be completed every academic year. IDPs are an excellent tool to help you develop as an independent scientist. They also help your advisor to better mentor you along this journey.
- Complete the Chemistry IDP form - The IDP is designed to foster communication in a variety of areas to ensure that students are receiving comprehensive feedback about their progress to date and future expectations. Accomplishments, challenges, and goals should be addressed as well as any performance/progress issues so that both the student and their advisor have a clear understanding of the student’s progress toward their degree.
- Schedule a meeting with your advisor to discuss the IDP
- Submit the IDP signature page
- The signature page will be completed through DocuSign, please log in to UCI DocuSign before starting the form, this will allow you to track the progress of your form.
- The Department recommends uploading a final copy of your completed IDP form, however, this is optional.
- Organic and Chem Bio students who have advanced to candidacy are required to submit a summary of their research to their committee members. Students must discuss this document with their advisor before submitting the summary to their committee. The Organic-Chem Bio thesis committee members signature form will be routed to your two non-advisor thesis committee members for signature through DocuSign. Once the document is complete your advisor and the Department of Chemistry will receive a copy.
- Sample copy of Organic-Chem Bio thesis committee members signature form - Only use this form to draft your responses, the final document should be submitted through DocuSign.
The 2023 deadline for your completed IDP form, scheduled meeting with your advisor, and submission of the IDP signature page is August 31, 2023.
For those that have not completed IDPs in the past, there are a variety of resources available that describe their use in career and professional development: