NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 closure of UCI campus for all non-essential operations, PhD defenses during spring quarter will be held via Zoom. Please refer to the Thesis Defense Zoom Guidelines.
One quarter or three months prior to your estimated defense date:
- Speak to your faculty advisor about creating a graduation timeline, this should include the following:
- An approximate defense date
- An approximate date for thesis/dissertation submission
- Lab specific exit requirements
- Review Graduate Division Degree Completion Information
- Determine an approximate graduation date. If you are graduating during Fall, Winter or Spring quarter you must end your employment on, or after, the last day of the quarter. If your graduation date does not align with the last day of the quarter (listed below) please schedule an appointment with Morgan Sibley to discuss funding implications.
- Fall Quarter: December 13, 2019
- Winter Quarter: March 20, 2020
- Spring Quarter: June 12, 2020
- Submit the Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Exit Form
- Attend a Thesis and Dissertation Formatting Workshop through UCI Libraries
Within 30 days of submitting the Graduate Student Exit Form:
- Schedule an appointment with Garrett Yoshitomi to dicuss the following:
Two weeks prior to your defense date:
- Email Garrett Yoshitomi (firstname.lastname@example.org) the following information for the Department of Chemistry website:
- Defense title
- Defense date and time
- Picture (optional)
- Review Thesis/Dissertation Manuals from UCI Libraries
- Submit the Ph.D. Form II - Signature Page to Garrett Yoshitomi for Chair’s signature.
- NOTE: Submission of the Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Exit Form is required to receive Chair's signature.
- Degree Certification: It is recommended that you request a letter of degree certification from Graduate Division when you submit your final paperwork. Your diploma is typically available four months after the end of the quarter in which you graduate. This letter will be processed approximately 14 business days after you submit your paperwork and can be shown to employers while you wait for your diploma.
- Submit required paperwork to Graduate Division, see details on Graduate Division Degree Completion.
Reminders for your last day at UCI:
- UCI keys must be returned to the department from which they were issued. Department of Chemistry keys can be turned into Haleema Sood (email@example.com).
- If applicable, you are responsible for returning your UCI parking permit.
- Certain payroll deductions (including automobile insurance, credit union, charitable contributions, employee organization dues, etc.) must be cancelled by the employee. Contact the specific organization to make arrangements for private coverage/cancellation and/or payments.