Congratulations on being accepted to the Chemistry Graduate Program at the University of California Irvine!
We are delighted that you would like to learn more about us. This year, our recruitment visits will be conducted virtually, with one large group day open to all admitted applicants, and four smaller "visits" for virtual meetings with faculty and graduate students. Prospective students can attend either the large group visit, one of the smaller meeting days, or both. An itinerary for both types of visits can be found below.
For the smaller meeting days, only a limited number of students can be accommodated. Thus, meetings will be scheduled on a first come, first serve basis. Only available dates will be displayed on the UCI Chemistry Visit Day RSVP Form. Please follow the instructions below to set up your visit:
Virtual Visit Sign-Up
To RSVP for a virtual visit, please complete the UCI Chemistry Visit Day RSVP Form.
Virtual Group Visit Day - Thursday, February 25
Introduction to UCI Chemistry
|9:30 AM||Virtual Gather.town Poster Session|
Virtual Facilities Tour
|1:00 PM||Optional Afternoon Activities|
Virtual Group Visit Day - Optional Afternoon Activities
- Meet & Greets: Join the following groups for a virtual lab tour, followed by flash talks with students from the group, and opportunities for a Q&A.
- Synthetic and Chemical Biology Club (2:00-2:30 PM)
- Come learn about UCI’s Synthetic and Chemical Biology Club. This interdisciplinary group of students, postdocs, and faculty meets monthly to socialize and discuss new research ideas.
- Student Organization Gather.town Meet & Greet (2:00-3:00 PM)
- Come learn about some of the organizations you can join as a graduate student! Meet students from programs such as Iota Sigma Pi-Women in Chemistry, the Peer Mentoring Program, DECADE (Diverse Educational Community and Doctoral Experience), Chem Anti-Racism Coalition, Science Champions 4 Change, SACNAS (Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science), NoBCChE (National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers), and more!
- Virtual Campus Housing Tour (3:00-4:00 PM)
- Join us for life virtual tours of UCI's graduate housing communities.
- Meet the New Professors & Network with Organic Alumni (4:00-5:00 PM)
- 4:00-4:30 Introduction by Professor Vy Dong, followed by short talks by assistant professors and Q&A.
- 4:30-5:00 Alumni panel to showcase different careers and perspectives on their education at UCI. Alumni from different organic groups will join for intros and Q&A.
Virtual Meeting Visit Day - Friday, February 26, March 5, 12 & 19
|11:00 AM||Faculty Meeting Slot|
|11:30 AM||Faculty Meeting Slot|
|1:00 PM||Faculty Meeting Slot|
|1:30 PM||Faculty Meeting Slot|
|2:30 PM||Graduate Student Panel|
|4:00 PM||Virtual Gather.town Happy Hour|
Recruitment fellows are current Chemistry PhD students, who have volunteered to represent the Department during this year's admission and recruiting cycle. They are all looking forward to meeting you during your upcoming virtual visits, and can be contacted at any time, if you have questions about the Chemistry Department, UCI, or Irvine, in general!
- Claire Herbert firstname.lastname@example.org - Organic Chemistry, Jarvo Group
- Xintong (Amelia) Hou, email@example.com - Organic Chemistry, Dong Group
- Jessica Pazienza, firstname.lastname@example.org - Organic Chemistry, Rychnovsky Group
- Erin Kuker, email@example.com - Organometallic Chemistry, Dong Group
- Sarah Ruttenberg, firstname.lastname@example.org - Chemical Biology, Nowick Group
- Yong Li, email@example.com - Physical Chemistry, Potma Group
- Austin Green, firstname.lastname@example.org - Theoretical Chemistry, Martens Group
- Aoon Rizvi, email@example.com - Materials Chemistry, Patterson Group
Virtual Campus Tour
While on-campus visits are not possible during this time, The Office of Undergraduate Admissions has created a virtual walking tour of our beautiful campus here at UCI. Please refer to their website for virtual tour instructions.
Please contact Garrett Yoshitomi, Graduate Program Coordinator, if you have any questions regarding group visit days or the Chemistry Department as whole.