For up-to-date enrollment information please visit: https://www.chem.uci.edu/enrollment
The deadline to add/drop/change Chemistry lab courses is Week 1 by 5:00PM. Please note this is earlier than the School of Physical Sciences deadline. See additional Chemistry lab policies below.
The deadline to add/drop non-lab Chemistry courses is the end of Week 2 by 5:00PM.
Many Chemistry courses are initially restricted to the following majors: Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Nursing Science, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physical Science, Public Health Sciences, and Undecided/Undeclared.
The following Spring 2019 Chemistry classes are initially restricted to Chemistry majors: M3C, M3LC, M52LC, 107L, 125, 132C, 138, 153, 156, 177, and 177L.
If you have questions regarding major restrictions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you don't meet the prerequisites for a chemistry course, you will be dropped from this course by the Chemistry Department.
If you satisfied your prerequisites at another institution, please email email@example.com with the following information to have your prerequisites cleared. Please allow two business days for your request to be processed.
- UCI ID number and name:
- Course(s) you need to be cleared for:
- Institution and title of course where prerequisite was taken:
If you have not submitted an official transcript with the prerequisite course to UCI, please attach an unofficial transcript to your request. Please allow longer processing time for these requests.
Courses with Multiple Components:
Many Chemistry classes require concurrent enrollment in a Lecture, Discussion and/or Laboratory. Please check the schedule of classes and your class schedule to ensure you are enrolled in all parts of a course. If you are not enrolled in all parts of a course you will be dropped from the class or receive a NR for the portion of the course you are enrolled in.
Students interested in repeating a Chemistry class will be restricted from enrolling. Repeat restrictions will be lifted on the following dates:
- Spring 2019 quarter: Monday, April 1st by noon
Chemistry Lab Policies:
- Attendance for week 1 is mandatory.
- Students will not be able to add or drop a Chemistry laboratory after week 1. Please note this deadline is earlier than the School of Physical Sciences week 2 deadline.
- Chemistry laboratory fees are non-refundable. If you are enrolled in a Chemistry Laboratory after week 1 you will be charged a lab fee and are responsible for paying the fee.
- Directions on how to purchase lab supplies can be found on the Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Undergraduate Chemistry Labs flyer. Please refer to the course syllabus for specific PPE requirements.
- If course fees will be a barrier to participate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the first week of classes. This is the deadline to request a reimbursement of lab fees.
The Department of Chemistry charges the following laboratory fees:
- Chem 1LC-LD-LE: $50 per student
- Chem H2LA-LB-LC: $50 per student
- Chem M2LA-LB-LC: $50 per student
- Chem M3LC: $100 per student
- Chem 51LB-LC-LD: $75 per student
- Chem H52LA-LB-LC: $50 per student
- Chem M52LA-LB-LC: $75 per student
- Chem 107L: $75 per student
- Chem 128L: $75 per student
- Chem 133L (formerly Chem 170): $50 per student
- Chem 137: $50 per student
- Chem 138: $50 per student
- Chem 152: $100 per student
- Chem 153: $100 per student
- Chem 156: $75 per student
- Chem 160: $100 per student
- Chem 177L: $75 per student (collected by Pharmaceutical Sciences)
Pregnancy in Chemistry Labs:
UC Irvine does not discriminate against any student on the basis of pregnancy or pregnancy-related conditions. Absences due to medical conditions relating to pregnancy will be excused for as long as deemed medically necessary by a student’s doctor and students will be given the opportunity to make up missed work. Students needing accommodations can seek assistance from the Disabilities Services Center at email@example.com or (949) 824-7494 or from the Title IX Office (the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity) at firstname.lastname@example.org or (949) 824-5594.
The Department of Chemistry and the Department of Environmental Health & Safety Risk Services ensure that each student’s exposure to hazardous chemicals falls within acceptable limits as determined by OSHA and Cal/OSHA. However, if you are pregnant, there may be additional risks to consider and so we strongly encourage you to consult with your physician and the Disabilities Services Center at email@example.com or (949) 824-7494 before undertaking work in the laboratory.
Concurrent Enrollment (formerly known as ACCESS UCI):
Beginning on a date that is TBD (date will be listed below), you may submit the Chemistry Concurrent Enrollment Form. Chemistry Concurrent Enrollment Forms are processed in the order that they are received.
If you meet eligibility criteria and course space is available:
You will be notified, via email, and asked to submit an additional Concurrent Enrollment Form at the front desk of 1102 Natural Sciences II.
- Spring 2019 quarter: TBD
Summer Session Policies:
The Chemistry Department enforces prerequisites during UCI Summer Session. Current UCI students that have taken the prerequisites at UCI will be able to enroll without additional clearance.
Students from outside UCI will need to provide transcripts demonstrating that they have met the prerequisites outlined in the UCI General Catalogue. You will be contacted for this documentation prior to the start of the course through email.
Students who wish to enroll in a lab after the Summer Session has begun must recieve Deparmental approval by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Students may not enroll in a lab course after the Summer Session has begun if they have missed any of the lab sessions.
Please see the Chemistry Undergraduate Program Office FAQ: https://www.chem.uci.edu/ugradfaq
If your question is not answered on the above website please email email@example.com and if your request cannot be handled through email please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.