Teaching Assistant Job Description
Definition: An academically qualified and registered graduate student in full-time residence chosen for excellent scholarship and for promise as a teacher, who is assigned to assist in the delivery of instruction under the active tutelage and supervision of a faculty member. The majority of graduate students who perform instructional functions are assigned to the Teaching Assistant title.
Responsibilities: Assist the supervising faculty member by conducting discussion, laboratory, or quiz sections that supplement faculty lectures; and by grading assignments or examinations. Teaching Assistants may provide input into the development of assignments or exams, and hold office hours. No prior teaching experience is required for appointment. The final responsibility for the content of the course rests with the supervising faculty member. A Teaching Assistant is not independently responsible for the instructional content of a course, selection of assignments, planning, examinations, determination of student grades or decisions on grade appeals; and is not assigned full instructional responsibility for an entire course.
For further information please refer to: http://ap.uci.edu/ase/teaching-assistant/
Teaching Assistants & Teaching Associates (Associates In) Employment Information
Local campus fees of $161.21 in Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 and local campus fees of $161.20 in Spring 2021 are not covered by a Teaching Assistants & Teaching Associates (Associates In) appointment (updated Dec. 2020). Students are responsible for paying local fees through the ZOT Account prior to the UCI fee payment deadline. Local fees must be paid for your tuition/fees to credit to your student account. For more information on how local campus fees are calculated in to the Chemistry funding package please see Graduate Student Funding Information.
- 2020-2021 Teaching Assistants & Teaching Associates (Associates In) Assignments
- Sample Supplemental Form
- ASE Information (Ap-60) (Academic Student Employees apointment information- Updated July 2020)
- Union Membership (UAW Local 2865 Membership Election Form)
- Union Contract
Chem 399: University Teaching
It is mandatory that students enroll in Chem 399: University Teaching for every quarter they are employed as a Teaching Assistant or Teaching Associate (Associates In).
TA guidelines and responsibilities for specific courses
Remote Teaching Resources
Lecture TA/Tutor Office Hours Room Reservations - Office Hour Rooms will not be availble for Fall 2020
Lecture TA Office Hours will be held in the recently upgraded Office Hour rooms in Rowland Hall (517, 523, 352, and 270). Fill out the TA/Tutor Office Hour Room Form to reserve a room. The assignments are posted below, please check your room and time assignment. If there are any major conflicts please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will not receive your assignment via email. Please read through the following policies before submitting your request:
- The priority reservation deadline is Monday of Week 1
- These rooms are for lecture TAs only. If you are TAing a lab your lab office hour room will be handled by the instructor.
- Room assignments will be made on a first come first serve basis.
- If you need to change your submission, you may do so. If multiple submissions are received, only the latest will be honored.
- Each person must fill out their own form and have multiple options listed.
- You can arrange times with your fellow TAs and issues stated on the form will be taken into consideration.
Questions? Contact Tatum Power(email@example.com), Undergraduate Program Coordinator
- TA Copy Codes: TAs will be able to make copies at the Physical Sciences Copy Center using a department copy code. A new copy code will be set up for each quarter and posted below. The Department sends the copy center a list of the current TAs each quarter and once the quarter ends, the copy code will be deleted from your account.
- Please note: The TA copy code can only be used for instructional related copies and should not be used to purchase teaching or research supplies.
- Fall 2020: N/A
- Midterm and Final Review Room Request Instructions
- How to Assist Students in Distress
- TA Schedule Request Document 20-21
Questions? Contact Morgan Sibley(firstname.lastname@example.org), Student Affairs Manager