Teaching Assistant Job Description
Definition: An academically qualified and registered graduate student in full-time residence chosen for excellent scholarship and for promise as a teacher, who is assigned to assist in the delivery of instruction under the active tutelage and supervision of a faculty member. The majority of graduate students who perform instructional functions are assigned to the Teaching Assistant title.
Responsibilities: Assist the supervising faculty member by conducting discussion, laboratory, or quiz sections that supplement faculty lectures; and by grading assignments or examinations. Teaching Assistants may provide input into the development of assignments or exams, and hold office hours. No prior teaching experience is required for appointment. The final responsibility for the content of the course rests with the supervising faculty member. A Teaching Assistant is not independently responsible for the instructional content of a course, selection of assignments, planning, examinations, determination of student grades or decisions on grade appeals; and is not assigned full instructional responsibility for an entire course.
For further information please refer to: http://ap.uci.edu/ase/teaching-assistant/
Teaching Assistants & Teaching Associates (Associates In) Employment Information
Local campus fees of $159.69 per quarter are not covered by a Teaching Assistants & Teaching Associates (Associates In) appointment (updated Oct. 2018). Students are responsible for paying local fees through the ZOT Account prior to the UCI fee payment deadline. Local fees must be paid for your tuition/fees to credit to your student account. For more information on how local campus fees are calculated in to the Chemistry funding package please see Graduate Student Funding Information.
- 2019-2020 Teaching Assistants & Teaching Associates (Associates In) Assignments
- Sample Supplemental Form
- ASE Information (Ap-60) (Academic Student Employees apointment information- Updated July 2019)
- Union Membership (UAW Local 2865 Membership Election Form)
Chem 399: University Teaching
It is mandatory that students enroll in Chem 399: University Teaching for every quarter they are employed as a Teaching Assistant or Teaching Associate (Associates In).
TA guidelines and responsibilities for specific courses
Lecture TA Office Hours Room Reservations
Lecture TA Office Hours will be held in the recently upgraded Office Hour rooms in Rowland Hall (517, 523, and 552). Fill out the google form on Room Reservations for TAs and Tutors to reserve a room. The assignments will be posted on the same page you submitted your request, please check back for your room and time assignment. You will not receive your assignment via email. Please read through the following policies before submitting your request:
- The priority reservation deadline will be posted prior to the start of the quarter on the Room Reservations for TAs and Tutors website. It is suggested you make arrangements to split discussions with your fellow TAs, before week 1 if you would like priority scheduling.
- These rooms are for lecture TAs only. If you are TAing a lab your lab office hour room will be handled by the instructor.
- Room assignments will be made on a first come first serve basis.
- If you need to change your submission, you may do so. If multiple submissions are received, only the latest will be honored.
- Each person must fill out their own form and have multiple options listed.
- You can arrange times with your fellow TAs and issues stated on the form will be taken into consideration.
Questions? Ask Dr. Amanda Holton (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TA Copy Codes: TAs will be able to make copies at the Physical Sciences Copy Center using a department copy code. A new copy code will be set up for each quarter and posted below. The Department sends the copy center a list of the Department’s TAs each quarter, once the quarter ends the copy code will be deleted from your account. The TA copy code can only be used for instructional related copies and should never be used to purchase teaching and research supplies.
- Fall 2019: 018c
- Midterm and Final Review Room Request Instructions
- How to Assist Students in Distress
- TA Schedule Request Document
Questions? Contact Morgan Sibley(email@example.com), Student Affairs Manager