QUARTERLY OPEN HOURS
MTUWTHF: 9:00am - 3:30pm
CLOSED: 12 - 1pm
- The Chemistry Undergraduate Office will utilize email when
communicating academic policy and course information to chemistry
- Make sure you activate your UCInetID
*Office hours are subject to change.***
Undergraduate lower division and upper division courses will use WebReg for adds/drops/changes for the first two (2) weeks of the quarter.
After the first two weeks, submit your Enrollment Exception via StudentAccess.
Access WebReg for adds, drops, and changes until the end of the 2nd week.
Chem H2ABC series - CHP students must contact Campuswide Honors Program Office at: 1200 Student Services II, email email@example.com, or call the Main Number: (949) 824-5461
Enrolled students who do not meet
prerequisites due to a
preventing them from continuing in the series will be dropped from the
roster by the Chemisty Department.
Classes--SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Check WEBSOC for
changes to courses information BEFORE classes begin AND periodically
throughout the first week of classes.
Have a score of 4 or 5 on the College Board Advanced Placement Chem Examination? The Chemistry Department will allow students who have earned Chem 1A credit via AP to enroll in SUMMER offerings of Chem 1A at UCI in order to fulfill professional school admission requirements
You will not receive units or grade points in this course, but it will appear on your transcript with a course credit code of L6. The L6 code indicates the following: Repeat of advanced standing or high school course; no credit.
You are encouraged to enroll in Chem H2A-B-C and Chem H2LA-LB-LC, Honors General Chemistry, commencing Fall quarter.
New Chemistry 1A Prerequisites:
Students who plan to enroll in general chemistry at UCI have six possible choices for their first chemistry lecture course. To ensure that students are capable of meeting the demands imposed by the Chemistry 1 series at UCI, prerequisites for Chemistry 1A will be put into effect Fall 2014. We have established that performance in Chemistry 1 is correlated with performance on a number of standardized exams. A score equal to, or higher than, the threshold value on any of the four exams listed below qualifies a student to enroll in Chem 1A.
Placement into 1A via Testing: Any of the following satisfies the prerequisite for registration in Chem 1A:
- Path 1: SAT Math score of 600+
- Path 2: ACT Math test score of 27+
- Path 3: AP Chemistry exam score of 3+
- Path 4: SAT Chemistry subject test score of 700+
- Path 5: Completion of or concurrent enrollment in Mathematics 2A or Physics 7C
LAB FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
A $50.00 NON-REFUNDABLE course lab fee is assessed.
Course lab fees are added to your ZOT Bill after week one. You will be billed again for the lab fee if you switch your lab section after Friday at the end of the first week. Check your Zot bill and let us know if you were double-billed, we will reverse the additional charge. If you find that you are double billed, please be aware that no lab fee reversals will be considered after the quarter ends. University Extension students enrolled in a laboratory course do not pay the $50.00 lab fee
NOTE: Chem 177L is assessed a $75.00 lab fee.
& DROPS -- NEW POLICY BEGINNING F10
All enrollment (Add/Drop/Changes) will be handled via UCI's web-based registration system WebReg at http://www.reg.uci.edu.
Add cards will no longer be utilized.
DROP: The deadline to drop courses in the Department of Chemistry is the end of Week 2 by 5:00PM. Drops can be made in WebReg.
ADD: The deadline to add courses in the Department of Chemistry without permission using WebReg is the end of Week 2 by 5:00PM.
CHANGE: The deadline to change grade option or variable units is the end of Week 2 by 5:00PM. Changes can be made in WebReg.
An online petition via StudentAccess will be utilized for adds, drops, and changes after enrollment deadlines have passed.
NO CHEMISTRY LABORATORY CHANGES AFTER WEEK 1. Please NOTE: This deadline is earlier than the School of Physical Sciences week 2 deadline.
Freshmen Seminars offer an exciting opportunity to broaden
academic horizons. Please refer to the University Studies
website for information about these quarterly
UPPER DIVISION COURSES--Additional information
Some upper division courses may be limited to Chem majors
only. Non-majors may attempt to enroll by add card during
the first week of classes if space is available.
Chemistry 180 & Chemistry 199 Enrollment:
- Contact the faculty member to obtain permission to enroll before your enrollment window opens.
Students will have access to the course on WebReg once the instructor sends the notification of
approval to the Chemistry Undergraduate Office. Unauthorized students will be dropped from the course.
- Undergraduate students are not allowed to enroll in more than a total of 5 units per quarter of independent study/research. This limit includes Chem 180 and 199.
- You are unable to access the class you wish to repeat when your WebReg window initially opens.
- You are not allowed to repeat the same class more than once in the academic year.
- Receive a grade of D/F/NR/NP? Access the course on the 1st day of the quarter.
- Receive a grade of C-? Enroll on the 3rd day of the quarter
- HELPFUL TIP: DON'T WAIT IN LINE----USE
AS MUCH AS POSSIBILE! IT'S GOOD TIME MANAGEMENT.
A PREREQUISITE AND ESTABLISHING
Can't add the
Chemistry course you need through WebReg? It may mean
prerequisite for that course has not been met.
Two ways to verify your prerequisite:
a copy of your transcript, summer
verification of enrollment, to the UCI Chemistry Department,
attn: Chemistry Undergraduate
Office. Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org; Fax
a photocopy of document, i.e.,
enrollment verification, at the Chemistry Undergraduate Office in 1101
NATURAL SCIENCES 2 (NS2):
You are encouraged to view
the Frequently Asked Question document on this site which will cover
topics pertinent to your enrollment.
- That verifies completion of the prerequisite in order to be
placed on the eligibility list.
- Do this PRIOR TO WEBREG enrollment for the upcoming
- The following information must be on the documentation:
- UCI ID number and name
- Course(s) you want and quarter - i.e.,51A
- Brief explanation of the situation
- Your phone number
- We will only call you if there is a problem with your
- Access WebReg after 5:00pm that same day or when your
- Contact this office if WebReg gives you an error message,
prerequisite not met.
NOTE: MAKE SURE
ID NUMBER IS ON ANY
DOCUMENT PRESENTED TO THE CHEMISTRY UNDERGRADUATE OFFICE. Without your
ID number, your information can't be processed.
View UCI Co-requisites and Prerequisites for Chemistry Courses in Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters through the quarterly Schedule of Classes. Click on the Prerequisite link next to the course listing. In addition, local junior college equivalents are listed.
in courses are enforced***
- REQUIRED for courses with lecture and an accompanying laboratory. If you don't enroll concurrently, you will either have have to drop the course, or receive a grade of NR for that portion of the course you are enrolled in.
- This doesn't apply if you already have credit for either lecture or laboratory.
- NOT CONCURRENTLY ENROLLED = Possibly receive an NR for the lecture or laboratory you are enrolled in.
- You are prevented from advancing into the subsequent course in the series or a course where the prerequisite is both lecture & lab, i.e., 1C & 1LC needed for 51A.
- Students may not repeat the same Chemistry course more than once during the academic year.
- Students are allowed multiple repeats during the summer session if they've exceeded the one time academic year repeat for a specific course.
- Students wishing to repeat a course in which they have received an F or a grade preventing them from continuing in the series may enroll via WebReg starting the THIRD day of classes.
- Students with a grade of C- or below (excluding a grade of F) may attempt to enroll via WebReg starting the FIFTH day of classes.
- Chem majors attempting to repeat an upper division course in which they have received a grade of F may enroll via WebReg starting at the adjustment period.
- Any other Chem majors with a grade of C- or below (excluding a grade of F) may attempt to enroll via via WebReg on the first day of classes.
IMPORTANT LABORATORY INFORMATION
- Refer to the following websites often for a list of course
materials, changes, updates and announcements:
- General Chemistry Laboratory website (the lab manual is now
online) - http://eee.uci.edu/programs/gchem
- Organic Chemistry Laboratory-Go to : http://eee.uci.edu
- Choose course
websites in the toolbar at
the top of the page:
- Choose quarter and
- Choose Chemistry
- Choose course needed
- A $50.00 NON-REFUNDABLE
course lab fee is assessed.
- Course lab fees are added to your ZOT Bill after week
one. You will be billed again for the lab fee if you switch your lab
after Friday at the end of the first week. Check your Zot
and let us know if you were double-billed, we will reverse the
additional charge. No lab fee reversals will be considered after the
end of the quarter.
- University Extension students enrolled in a laboratory course do
not pay the $50.00 lab fee.
Chemistry course exams are returned to students
electronically. The procedure will be explained by
the instructor in each
- The Chemistry Department provides FREE tutoring for our General and Organic Chemistry courses:
*General Chemistry in room 517 of Rowland Hall.
*Organic Chemistry in room 523 of Rowland Hall.
- Tutoring is available on a "walk-in" basis.
- Hours for tutoring will be posted at RH 517, RH 523, and on the Chemistry Department Tutoring Website.
- Visit the Chemistry Department